Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to some common questions about advocacy.
How much does advocacy cost?
Nothing, it is free.
Who do you work for?
We are independent, we do not work for any other organisations. We are here to support you.
How will you help me?
We will listen to you about the issues that are important to you and we will agree a plan together. We will not judge you or discriminate against you. We will treat you fairly.
We can help you to:
• Make informed decisions and take control of your life.
• Have equal rights.
• Say what you want, how you are feeling and make sure you are listened to and answered.
• Find information and understand it.
• Have the time you need to make decisions.
Will my advocate always be there to help me?
You will not always need an advocate to help you, we hope that working with an advocate gives you the confidence to speak up in the future. When you have finished working with your advocate your case will be closed, but you can contact us if you need an advocate again.
Will the information I tell you stay confidential?
The Data Protection Act and General Data Protection Regulations says we need to make sure you agree that we can keep personal information about you. It also says we have to keep your
We will only talk to other people about you:
• When you want us to.
• If you or someone you know might get hurt (safeguarding).
• When the law says we have to.